Admission Requirements M.Sc. in Economics
GOOD TO KNOW
We encourage students with a degree in Economics and an interst in quantitative methods and economic theories to apply for admission.
The application deadline fo the program starting in October is April 30.
We will accept complete applications only. (Exception: Students who have not received their degree certificate prior to the application deadline may submit it upon receipt.)
We will confirm the receipt of your application documents but we will not give out information about your application status during the application period and the selection process. All applicants will be informed about the decision of the selection committee in mid-June.
Admission to our Master program is very competitive. We receive many more applications than we have places in the program. Thus, we can admit only those students that best meet all our entry requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are intersted in pursuing a doctoral degree, you might want to apply for our Master in Economics with a specialization in Economic Research.
To be admitted to our Master program, applicants need to have:
- A Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Economics or an equivalent degree (e.g. Bachelor of Arts or a degree in a related field with a focus on quantitative economics) with the final grade “good” (the German grade 2,3) or better.
- A solid background in Mathematics (differential and integral calculus, linear algebra) statistical methods (descriptive and inferential statistics) and econometrics
- An adequate knowledge of English at level B2
CEFR (demonstrated e.g. by a TOEFL test score of 87 or higher. by an IELTS test score of 6.0 or higher, or by a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency). Applicants who have reiceved the degree from a study program taught entirely in English do not need to provide test scores or a language certificate.
(1) Degree certificate
(2) Academic transcripts
(3) Curriculum vitae
(4) One letter of recommendation
(5) Proof of English proficiency at level B2 CEFR
(7) APS certificate (applicants from China and Vietnam)
(8) GRE test scores - not mandatory
(1) Please upload your degree certificate if your degree has already been completed. Please include a certified translation of your degree certificate if documents are not in German or English.
(2) Please upload your academic transcript of records, including names of courses and grades. Please include a certified translation of your academic transcripts if the original is not in German or English
(3) Please upload a current and complete curriculum vitae.
(4) Please ask one academic teacher to provide a confidential letter of recommendation to the BGSE.
Your professor may want to address the following questions:
- How do you rate the applicant's performance in comparison to her/his fellow students?
- How do you assess the applicant's depth and breadth of knowledge in the field?
- How do you assess the applicant's potential to perform well in a quantitative and research-oriented Master program?
Once you have completed your online application, your professors will receive an automatically generated e-mail with instructions and an upload link.
(5) There are various ways to prove your English proficiency at level B2, among them standadized language tests and Cambridge certificates. For the TOEFL test we require test scores of 87 or higher, for the IELTS test, scores of 6.0 or higher. We also accept other internationally recognized language certificate such as e.g. the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
Test scores are not required if English is your native language or if you received or will receive a degree from a study program taught entirely in English
Please make sure to upload your test scores in the online application. If you additionally want to have ETS send the TOEFL test scores directly to us, please use the following code number: 7156 (University of Bonn, M.Sc. in Economics)
(6) The Bibliography is a list (that you put together, there is no form for it) of the most important books and articles that have been used in your study program. This is required to give us a better idea as to what has been covered in your study program.
The list should at least include: Title, name of author, year of publication. If the books you used were written in languages other than German or English, please translate the title or give the title of the English original.
(7) Applicants with degrees from Chinese and Vietnamese universities also need to upload an APS certificate.
(8) GRE test scores are not mandatory, however they are strongly recommended for non-EU applicants. If you want to submit GRE test scores, please make sure to upload them in your online application. If you additionally want to have ETS send the TOEFL test scores directly to us, please use the following code number: 7156 (University of Bonn, M.Sc. in Economics)