You are here: Home Apply to our Programs M.Sc. in Economics FAQ



Below you will find answers to some of our frequently asked questions regarding the application process. If you have general questions about the program or the faculty, you may want to visit our general FAQ.


Which certificates are admissible/Can I be exempt from providing a certificate/SCORES?

If your native langague is English or you have graduated from a program that was taught entirely in English, you do not need to submit an English language certificate. All other applicants have to prove that their level is at least equivalent to a B2 in the CEFR. We accept e.g. TOEFL test scores of 87 or higher, IELTS test scores of 6.0 or higher, or a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency. If you wish to send your ETS scores (TOEFL, GRE etc.) directly to us, you can do so with the code number for the University of Bonn, M.Sc. in Economics: 7156.

Go to top




I do not speak any German. Can I still be admitted to the program?

As our entire program is taught in English, you do not need to have any knowledge of German in order to be admitted. However, as a basic command of German will make it a lot easier to get around in Bonn or to get to know students form other programs, we strongly encourage international students to take one of the German language classes offered by the Department. These classes start in the first semester of the Master program and are free of charge. 

Go to top



Do I need to submit the pdf document that is generated once I have completed my online application?

No, please do not submit this document. While other study programs require the file to be signed and posted, we do not.This is why there is no adddress printed on the pdf file.

Should I send the originals of my documents?

During the application process you will only need to submit all documents online. Please do not send your application documents by regular mail. Only once you have been admitted to the program, you will need to present your original documents. This process takes place in October when you will formally enroll with the University of Bonn.

How do I need to submit the letter of recommendation?

Within 24 hours of your having submitted your online application, your professor will receive an automatically generated e-mail with instructions and an upload link to submit the letter of recommendation.

There is no special form required but the letter needs to be on official university letterhead, be in either English or German, and be signed. Your professor might want to address your performance compared to that of your peers or might provide an assessment of whether you are suitable for the program.

Should the letter of recommendation come from my employer or my professor?

We look for a letter from someone who can assess your academic potential and your promise as a graduate student and who can also evaluate your performance as compared to that of other students. Therefore we strongly recommend that you submit a recommendation letter from one of your professors.

What should I include in the "bibliography listing the books and articles that have been covered in your program of study"?

There is no special form required. Please just list the books and/or articles which you used most during your program. This is required to give us a better idea as to what has been covered in your program. If you have used books written in languages other than English or German, please include the title of the English version or translate it yourself. The list should include ten to 15 entries

Do I need to include a GRE with my application?

Including your GRE scores is not required but strongly recommended for applicants who received ther degree from a university outsided EU/EEA/Switzerland. GRE scores generally help us to better assess applicants' performance. Submitting them generally strengthens your application. Please note, however, that even very high GRE scores cannot compensate for an insufficient academic background or less than good grades.

Do my diplomas need to be notarized?

No. However, we only accept official university documents.

Can I submit GMAT scores instead of GRE scores?

Yes, we also accept GMAT scores.

I am an applicant from China. Do I need to include an APS certificate?

We ask all students with a degree from China or Vietnam to include a certificate from the APS (Akademische Prüfstelle).

Go to top



Please note that we do not need the following documents for the application process:

- Your high school diploma 

- More than one letter of recommendation

- A letter of motivation/statement of purpose

- Proof of working experience


Go to top



Do I need to present a translation of my documents?

We accept documents in either English or German. If you have documents written in other languages, you will need to provide a certified translation in either English or German.  

Go to top



I have not yet finished my current program and do not yet have my Bachelor degree. What should I do?

If you have not yet completed your Bachelor degree, you may still apply. Instead of submitting your degree certificate, you will need to upload your current transcript of records (listing all grades of the courses you have completed so far) again.

If you are admitted to the program, you will need to present your degree certificate once you have received it, or - at the very latest- in December when you register with the Economics Examination Office. Please note: You have to complete all of your courses and/or assignments related to your Bachelor degree and you need to have submitted your Bachelor thesis by  September 30.

Go to top

Document Actions