You are here: Home Graduate Programs M.Sc. in Economics FAQ



Below you find a collection of the frequently asked general questions about our Master program. If you have questions concerning the application process, check our application process FAQ.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us, yet make sure to read all the FAQ before, as questions to which the answers can be found here will not be answered.


Degree prerequisites



Scholarship and tuition

Working during your studies
Sites with job offers



I do not have degree from a program in Economics. Can I still be admitted?

Our Master program is a consecutive program, that builds on the knowledge acquired in a Bachelors degree in Economics. Therefore we can only admit students from other fields if they provide a sound background in Economics and quantitative methods. If you are unsure whether your degree covered enough classes in said fields, you can compare the content of your degree to our Bachelors degree on the Bachelors program website. You should have taken at least two classes in Mathematics and preferably two courses in Statistics and one in Econometrics, as well as eight to ten classes in Micro- and Macroeconomics.

Go to top



What documents do I need to apply for a visa?

In order to apply for a national student visa, you will usually need the following documents:

  • Passport
  • Proof of sufficient health coverage
  • Proof of funding for the first year (currently around 10,000 Euro)
  • Certificate of admission from the University of Bonn

Go to top




Is student housing available?

Every year, we reserve rooms for  our incoming Master students through the Studierendenwerk Bonn - an institution providing social, financial and other support services for students in Germany.

We will inform you about the details and deadlines of reserving a room once you have been admitted. Please note that you will need to pay a € 900 deposit to reserve a room and that all reservations are binding. The deposit will be refunded once you have signed your rental agreement.

If you want to find more information about the dorms, you can visit the website of the Studierendenwerk.

You can also find more information on short-term accommodation, shared housing and dorm run by other institution on the pages of the International Office.

Go to top



I need to finance my studies with a scholarship. What are my options?



As most German universities, Bonn does not charge a tuition fee and  the costs of the university education are picked up by the German state - thus in a way all students receive a scholarship. Apart from that, German universities offer very few scholarships and those that are available are in general only for excellent students.

However, there are some organizations and institutions offering scholarships. You can find a list of them here.

Go to top


I need to work during the semester to finance my studies, is that possible?

If you want to find work, there are usually some openings in either the University or the general job-market to be found. Yet, most of the positions available require German language proficiency.

Information about the maximum hours that can be worked and the work permits for EU and non-EU citizens can be found on the page of the international office.

Please note that the program is a full-time and very demanding, thus you will need to invest a lot of time into the courses and the assignments surrounding them.

Go to top



Here you will find some useful links for your job-hunt



The Studentenwerk Bonn offers a platform with job-offers . Most of them necessitate German language skills, but if you get lucky you might find an offer where it is not required. In order to use the platform you will need to register online ("Registrierung").

The University of Bonn also provides a website with current vacancies in and around the University . Unfortunately there are not too many which do not require German skills. In general, whenever the Job description is in English, German skills are not of essence.

You might also want to have a look at the following links, yet again, most of the offers require German.



Go to top




Document Actions